06 March 2009

My Creation : Experimental Typeface


It is one of the kind project for semester 1 in degree that had the opportunity to explore the typography in the next level. The 1st thought that came out of my mind was "Is it possible for me?" Apparently i had never done this before, not even my freelance job. Despite of  all kinds of question pouring out of my head, I reminded myself to stay positive and have faith in what i'm doing. 

Basically in this Experimental Type Project, i was challenged to explore all kinds of methods and medias to create a font that is not common but yet keeping its value going. It has to be usable, legible, readable and valuable. With these requirement given, it helps me to step out of the comfort zone meaning not just laying back on the couch flipping through books for inspiration but hands on  experimenting materials. I thank God for providing me a few crazy designer friends who are totally wacky! Because of them, through funny conversations, and wacky thing that we talked about, we had alot of wacky ideas! I then caught the inspiration whereby i saw a man removing gums from his shoe. It was a big laughter in my mind keeping it to myself with the idea i had in me. 

So i began working on the concept idea for my typeface, a 'gum' and a 'shoe'. It sounds and seems to easy to produce but trust me, i got it in the wrong way. Generating ideas was pretty easy for me as i have been developing it for many years. The challenging part of this process of the experiment type is time. We were given only a week to complete a total of 52 fonts! So in this case, i have to be quick and work smart, cant afford to make a mistake on my very 1st degree project. 

During the process, there's definitely encountering trials and frustrations. It depends how you response to the problem coming along. So i told myself not to complain cause it doesn't make any changes. Putting more affords in finding ways to solve it. The problems has been battled for 2 days and finally came out with an alternative idea to support my idea development, keeping the value alive. 

When the problems has been solved, that's when i am excited and excel to my final artwork. Had a presentation in the class, and thank God again that everything goes well. Lecturer (Soo Boon) was impressed of my 1st assignment given and i hope to be the role person as a designer to be an example and to inspire others to improve their quality of work. Cheers!

No comments: